Vancouver Five: to be renamed
With the Strait of Georgia could be possibly being renamed Salish Sea [cbc] here’s a few more possible name changes.
5) Downtown East Side renamed Kamloops: in the rest of the province the main method of dealing with the homeless is to “encourage” them to move along to Vancouver. Instead of trying to solve the problem the city could just make it another town’s problem. Passing the buck will surely solve the problem.
4) Mayor Sam Sullivan renamed Former Mayor Sam Sullivan: Mandatory Sullivan bashing, check!
3) Vancouver renamed Fat City: An idea stolen from Hunter S. Thompson’s attempt to have Aspen renamed the same thing to scare off investors. Perhaps with the world a bit more vulgar than it was in Thompson’s day we could substitute Fat for a four letter curse word. Ideally this would leave the beautiful Vancouver to the people who live here, and not to property speculators who drive up housing costs without actually living here.
2) Canucks renamed to Winnipeg Jets: Let’s face it they lose and we turn on them like a drunk on an empty bottle of beer, always expecting more. Winnipeg would appreciate the team, and like the Grizzlies we’d learn how to live without them. Plus maybe we as a city are just cursed.
1) Cambie Street renamed to Kamloops: I was being sarcastic when I said that if we ignore the DTES homeless problem it would just go away. The problem of Cambie Street merchants being inconvienced by the construction along the busy road is a problem that we can ignore and it will go away. Eventually all the businesses there will be closed, which is great because maybe then we can build some new condos. As you know housing demand in Fat City is high.