Vancouver Five: new names for GM Place
With the fate of General Motors in doubt [nyt] the Vancouver Canucks’ home ice may soon be needing a new sponsor, or at least a new name. Here are a few ideas for what we may be calling GM Place next season.
- Money Mart Place: In this economy Money Mart might be the only business with cash to spare.
- Fat City Arena: See this eariler Vancouver Five for explanation [mbv].
- Rogers Place: There was a well fairly decent rumour that Rogers tried to buy the naming rights to BC Place, but the city would not let them change the roof’s colour to Rogers’ red. But hey they need to do something with all that iPhone money.
- Happy Planet Juice Centre: I think the founder of that company might have some pull with city council [wp]. Plus wouldn’t that just please the pants off the rest of Canada who see us all as hippies anyway?
- Trevor Linden Memorial Rink: In the future when Trevor Linden signle handedly fixes the economy before leading the negotiations that see our alien invaders surrender, we’ll be quite happy to name the Canucks’ home ice after him.