There’s a few things that I’m tired of hearing about around town. Be warned these five things are on notice.
5) The Hollow Tree in Stanley Park [gm]: It’s a tree, it was killed by God. That’s the way nature works. If it was torn down to put up a Starbucks, yeah then we can have some sort of fit about that. It’s not a metaphor, it’s a damn tree. Get over it.
4) The dollar: I get it, it’s crazy that our dollar is so strong against the American one. Yet it’s been like that for months now. You can also add any story about how Product X is so much cheaper in the US now because of the dollars’ values. We all get it. It’s boring now.
3) The Canucks: Let’s just ignore the losers and hopefully they’ll all return to Sweden and never come back. Instead let’s talk about (soon-to-be) former Canuck Trevor Linden [bb] whose far more interesting. Though keep it to a minimum, he’s getting pretty close to going on the list to. Remember he’s a hockey player, he only walks on frozen water. For a team that actually wins something try the Whitecaps [wcfc].
2) How the Olympics are destroying everything: People were homeless before we won the Olympics and they’d still be homeless afterwards. Let’s be honest we as a society don’t give a shit about the problem of the homeless, and if 2010 was not going to be in Vancouver all the money spent on the Olympics would not instead have been used to feed and clothe those who need it. The money probably would have been spent on magic beans, ferries that we’ll never use or a space program. The Olympics make an easy target because it’s billions spent on things like watching men in superhero costumes slide down a frozen tube in a piece of fiberglass, but they’re nowhere near the root cause of the problem. Show some intelligence and try to find that root instead of just raging against the wrong machine.
1) How the Olympics are really going to revitalize the city: Right because the thing holding back Richmond from becoming a world class suburb was the fact that it didn’t have a giant speed skating rink.